What is Music Buddies?
Music Buddies is a student-run non-profit organization that enlists student performers (musicians, dancers, actors etc) to provide fun, engaging 60 minute performances at senior centers, retirement communities and nursing homes. Performances span a wide variety of music, genres and categories with the aim of spreading joy and cheer.
Who benefits from Music Buddies?
We offer young student performers a ready vehicle for sharing their talents while making a tangible difference in their communities.
Participating senior groups and communities get to enjoy outstanding live music programs performed by talented young musicians, completely free of cost.
Music Buddies does all the behind-the-scenes work of researching senior communities in the area that welcome student performers as well as matching and scheduling student performers with the appropriate senior community thus acting as the perfect liaison between the two groups.
Who can participate as a performer for Music Buddies and what is expected?
- Any student performer (musician, dancer, etc) enrolled in Grades 6-12 can! Whether you perform solo or with a group, if you desire to give back to the community using your talents, then we would love to hear from you.
- Student performers will perform in front of older adult groups at senior centers, retirement and assisted living communities, nursing homes and other settings..
- The total performance is about 60 minutes with each student performing for 10-15 mins max.
- Since this is a volunteer engagement, student musicians will not be paid for their performance. However, performers can get service hour credits for their time. Music Buddies provides signed community service credit forms after each performance.
- Before and after the performance you are expected to “meet and greet” audience members, introduce yourself and "connect" with the senior community in a polite, pleasant and cheerful manner.
- Performances will be scheduled during Friday evenings and weekends/holidays only during the school year. During summer, we might schedule during the week or on the weekend, depending on the scheduling needs of the groups and individuals we serve and coordinated with your availability and preferences.